Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sign O'Rama

By Matt:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been away for almost a week. And, even though my beautiful wife was in Oregon with me on vacation, she was apparently very busy back here at home as well.

Well, not actually, but it appeared so.

We pulled into Sioux Falls, wiping the exhaustion from our brow early Tuesday evening and when we did, there was a plethora of yard signs ALL over our yard. When I say "plethora" I mean it. Especially because we have a corner lot and that means each candidate can give us two signs which my wife was quick to agree to.

I don't mind yard signs. They're fun and supportive and all that jazz. But, it got me thinking... do they really work? What is their real purpose? And, how odd is it when you have spouses (like us) who don't always agree on candidates and you've got one for each who's running against one another. Do they motivate neighbors? Do they influence anything?

Personally, as soon as the Initiated Measure 11 signs go up, I think the signs divide neighbors and families. People you thought were your friends are suddenly turning their noses up at you because you don't agree on the very sensitive issue of abortion and who should be making those decisions - the government or women and their families. Regardless, I know my wife will be sure we have at least two of those in our yard.

I'd be curious to know what you all think. Do signs work?

No comments: