Monday, September 15, 2008

NFL Bigger than the Election

By Matt:

I have always been disgusted that more people vote on American Idol on any given week than in the Presidential Election - or any election for that matter - but I am starting to see how and why this happens. In the last two weeks I have been engrossed in a topic that means nothing to the overall health of this country much like American Idol. The only political things that have perked my ears up and made me listen since the two conventions are that McCain’s numbers are continuing to rise - AWESOME news - and Obama continuing to throw the same tired old line of “do you want four more years of Bush?”

And, to make it worse, I am realizing that I have not really gone looking for news from the campaigns either.

Instead of listening to political talk radio I find myself consistently having ESPN on in the car. Instead of hearing what both candidates are saying on any given day, I’m searching out Tom Brady’s injury or what my Fantasy Football players' statuses are. And, instead of talking politics with my wife our conversations have become more focused on our 2-0 Packers.

Is that bad or are other people this intoxicated with the NFL??? Or is it that nothing is really happening on the campaign trail right now and we are all just waiting for the debates? We’ll see. Let us hope that McCain and Palin continue to rock the polls the way that the Pack has rocked the Vikings and Lions the past two weeks.

As a side note, I would like to thank Pastor Hickey for reading my post this weekend. Please don't call me "left" again. If you continue to read my blog, you'll find that it's a much more appropriate title to bestow on my counterpart.

No comments: