Sunday, September 7, 2008

Back From the Hood

By Matt:

I'm back. Sorry for the lack of posts. I just returned from an awesome trip to Oregon for a wedding with my wife. One of her college roommates got married in the mountains and it was incredible.

But, now I'm back, and I've got a lot to say about what has been happening while I was gone.

First, the RNC. I haven't had a chance to post a single thing on the RNC.

We left for Oregon via Wisconsin on Wednesday night. We made sure to drive my wifes car so that we could listen to her satellite radio and get both the Guiliani and Palin speeches. Much like Muhammad Ali, Guiliani came out with a rope-a-dope technique. But, he quickly turned to "stinging like a bee" using the Obama campaign as his punching bag.

Palin took her fair share of shots at the campaign as well. She was quick to point out Obama's "experience" as a community organizer, versus her job as an executive in both Wasilla and Juneau. I think she started off a bit slow, but I was more than impressed by the end of the evening.

Critics have accused both Guiliani and Palin of being too harsh or nasty. The only reason they're saying that is because the truth hurts.

So, we're in beautiful Mt. Hood, Oregon and instead of seeing some sites on Thursday, my wife and I hunkered down to watch McCain's acceptance speech marking the final night of the convention.

As expected, the McCain Speech didn't live up to the Palin home run the night before. Obviously McCain is not the most charismatic of speakers. But, he had a real opportunity to beat the Democrats with some serious strategies and policy plans... AKA a platform. This used to be one of the major purposes of these conventions. Apparently both parties find these more of a pep rally these days. I thought the McCain speech was solid. But, I do wish he would've given me a little more to sink my teeth into.

As a real short side thought (because that is all they deserve), I would like to mention my absolute disgust for the men and women who thought Senator McCain's speech was the perfect time to make a protest statement about whatever issue they think the Republicans are missing the boat on. I support free speech. But, folks, there is a time and a place.

No comments: