Monday, September 22, 2008

Dude vs. Chick

By Mark:

Watching the presidential candidates on the campaign trail the past few days I heard something that really made me raise my eyebrows.

Last week in Iowa, Sarah Palin was giving her introduction speech for John McCain and in the process she introduced her husband and referred to him as the first ‘dude’ of Alaska.

Excuse me? So that’s fine for her to say that? If John McCain were to introduce his wife as the future first ‘chick’ of the United States he would single-handedly end his chances of being elected President of the United States.

Can we say double standard? It’s funny for Sarah Palin to call her husband a dude and makes her look cool and hip, but if a candidate referred to a woman as a chick they would be called a total sexist.

Did it really upset me that Sarah Palin called her husband the first ‘dude’ of Alaska? No, I couldn’t care less. But it is interesting how there is a double standard with the topic.

No comments: