Friday, September 12, 2008

Here We Go

By Mark:

I was watching the 5 o’clock news tonight on KELO and after the weather segment, an ad caught my attention.It was from VoteYesForLife.com talking about the upcoming abortion ban in South Dakota – Initiated Measure 11. Oh boy, here we go again.

Didn’t South Dakotans already vote against a ban on abortion by a vote of 56 to 44? I’m just not ready for this divisive debate once again.I would’ve missed the ad because in all honesty, it’s pretty darn boring.

I find several things very curious about this ad – not to mention inaccurate.

The ad claims Initiated Measure 11 was “written by South Dakotans for South Dakotans.” This is just not true. We know that it was heavily crafted by Harold Cassidy, a New Jersey trial lawyer. If you search his name on YouTube, you’ll find plenty of videos in which he’s talking about the “importance” of this measure in South Dakota. I love it when outside interests use our state as a battle ground. Which makes me wonder: was this really written for South Dakotans? I highly doubt it. In fact, I’m pretty darn sure that this is an attempt to create an abortion-free America… a direct challenge to Roe.

The ad claims that this ban has exceptions. It does not. Plain and simple. If you take the time to read this poorly crafted measure, you will find it’s full of legal jargon that is confusing and deceiving. I cannot imagine any doctor in SD being willing to perform an abortion for fear of prosecution. Great, now we’re putting politicians in the exam room. Now doctors will have to put their own careers ahead of the best line of care for their patients.

There is no question, this is a sensitive issue. I think we can all agree on that. That is why it is so important for people to make up their own minds about this… not the Government.

For more information check out what Cory over at Madville Times has to say about the issue.

No comments: